Breaking News
The Student Art & Literary Site of Community College of Allegheny County

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

A Boy Named Parker

Once, there was a little boy named Parker. Parker was a big fan of reading comic books and watching movies. In school, students call Parker weird, ugly, and fat behind Parker’s back. Parker did not listen when the students called him weird, ugly, or fat because he liked to be by himself and do what he enjoyed doing in his free time, like watching Star Wars and other movies he liked to watch. Parker was not in classes where there were a lot of students. Parker was in classes with a lower number of students in the class. There were two teachers: One taught the class, and the other teacher went around the class helping students. Parker took quizzes and tests with extra time in a quiet area with no disturbance. Parker’s teachers were in the special education department and taught students who needed help with learning.

With extra help from teachers in the special education department, Parker was in a special reading class where the students took a small reading test and got a Lexile reading score. Parker reads fiction books that can be read very easily. Parker just reads the books but cannot recall what he reads. Parker cannot summarize a book or a movie because he does not know how to when the teacher asks him to summarize what was read and what he watched. Parker also has a problem understanding mathematical concepts and logical reasoning.

Students in Parker’s school think he is weird and dumb because Parker is not in honors classes or any classes with only one teacher, but Parker thinks he is special like everyone because he gets extra help. Parker has an IEP teacher who keeps track of how Parker does in school. Parker’s IEP teacher tells him how he is doing. Parker was tested in elementary school, and the teacher found out from the test that Parker had a learning disability. Parker is an average student, and he tries his best in his schoolwork. Parker does good in class and gets average grades of 70% or 80%. Parker is happy with the grades he gets for the work he does with help from his teacher. Parker’s teacher teaches him that he likes to learn visually. Parker learns that when there is something visual, he learns very easily.

In Parker’s free time, he watches movies, reads fiction books, and listens to music. Parker does not like to be in a huge crowd; he likes to be alone in a quiet setting. Parker does not have any friends because students at school said no one likes him and no one will ever like him. Parker is fine with not having friends because he likes to be alone and do what he likes to do. Parker always goes to the coffee shop to read a book and then goes home and watches his favorite movies like 500 Days of Summer, Marley & Me, We Bought A Zoo, and other movies. Parker does not like to go to social events because he does not like to be in a big crowd, so he stays at home, watches movies, and reads.